"the future will see an intensification, even a perfection, of what draws us to fiction in the first place." Blog about what you think he means by that statement. Then tell us your own thoughts on the future of story and storytelling. Finally, update us on your research project progress.
What I think Gottschall meant by his aforementioned statement is that, fiction takes us to place we long to be in. It allows us to interact, see, laugh, or cry with situations and people that are not relevant in our real world life. There is no way real life could compete with a fictional life, as exemplified with interactions like LARPing or gaming experiences like MORPEGS. We are drawn into fiction because we can be anyone we want to be in the fictional world. The intensification and perfection of it that I see- is that is will be more interactive, we can actually be a part of the fiction....but hopefully not to the extent of "feelies"- That just seems like a can of worms that should not be opened.
I believe the future of story will carry on and evolve- It will always keep up with technology, because I think technology and story have a symbiotic relationship. Gottschall wrote that, "Story evolves. Like a biological organism, it continuously adapts itself to the demands of its environment." (180) I think what the future may bring pertaining to stories is going to be pretty much the same. Stories alaways seem to fit the same template, however the delivery system is going to be amazing. I could see it dominating our real life. I think people should focus more on their story, in the real world, and less on the make believe life. Yesterday my brother and I had a discussion about how in our lives, we are the main character of our story of life. Story is not going anywhere. Story and storytelling It is one of the characteristics that makes us human.
My research progress is good. I am getting close to a final draft. Through storytelling and personal narratives an accurate patient history can be taken. When a patient feels that they have been heard they are more confident in their care taker, they will worry less and their stress levels will decrease. Using storytelling in a medical setting not only helps the patient feel more secure, but also enables the doctor, PA, nurse, etc. to be better care takers.
I think its just MMPORG, not that I do any of that, but that's just how it's spelled. Anyway, good post. I think people should also focus on their stories in real life rather than their make-believe ones because that's the reality. Reading a good book, or watching a good movie, or even playing a good video game is all good and dandy, but at the end of the day, those activities were meant to pass the time and get us away from our real lives for just a few moments. The reality is, that in the end, we can't change that, we are human so those kinds of things should be left where they are; passing the time, not consuming all of it.
ReplyDelete" ...I think technology and story have a symbiotic relationship..." what a wonderful way to put it! When, if ever does the story become parasitic to reality? Are the virtual world programs an example of this? Like in the example of Bob; does all his attention and focus on his virtual world result in him neglecting other aspects of his life, therefore his life sucks? Or is it because life sucks (somewhat out of his control) that he turns to the virtual world?
ReplyDeleteI agree with Jared, you said that perfectly! I enjoyed your posting even if I am one of the guilty ones that will shut out the rest of the world until I finish my book ;)
ReplyDelete