Sunday, October 13, 2013

The Moral of the Story

3 comments:

  1. Anna that's a cool research topic. As I did the reading I thought about vampire bats. They're interesting because of food sharing. Like humans, bat don't last very long with out food. So if a bat doesn't find any food (competition), another, successful feeding bat will regurgitate some of its food so that the starving bat can eat. Being that cutting open people to measure the hormone levels in various parts of their bodies is unethical, vampire bats could serve as candidate participants.
    see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reciprocal_food_sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are interesting questions to address. I didn't think of religion as a confabulation. I thought of empathy and morality more as rhetoric, which is the process of persuasion in sociology. For example, preachers and bishops and reverends and whoever else is conduction a religious meeting, are constantly telling stories about how faith in the religion has triumphed over evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared's comment led me to do some research into vampire bats and I was intrigued by their decision to help another bat in need. It would be interesting to see if they could be tested and related to humans and their desire to give empathy.

    ReplyDelete