Sunday, October 20, 2013

Blog 9 INKY PEEPS

Ink people definitely have an incredible influence on the world. Gottschall brings up a very noteworthy example, "peoples deepest moral beliefs and values are modified by the fiction they consume. For example, fictional portrayals of members of different races affect how we view out-groups."(151) I don't think the majority of Germans really had a problem with Jewish people until Hitler produced all his propaganda. Through fiction and the written word, Hitler caused the death of 60 million people. I'd say his fiction changed the world.
I also think that in the case of the Holocaust, and the American Civil War, tensions and beliefs were building, and literary works that were released just exemplified what people already felt/knew to an extent. Somerset Maugham nailed it when he said that, " fiction writers mix the powdery (the medicine) of a message with the sugary jam of storytelling." (151)
Ink people and their stories affect us emotionally. A fictional Great White Shark hurt the economy of coastal towns, and a movie called, Birth of a Nation, brought the KKK back after it was pretty much eradicated. Do you think these things would have happened if ink people didn't influence it? I am siding with Gottschall on this one, I absolutely think that ink people change the world.

My presentation research is coming along pretty steadily. I am researching all the ins and outs of diagnostic procedures, how they influence the relationship of the caregiver and the patient, and the subsequent effects it can have on the patients overall health care. I am currently thinking of questions that could be asked when I interview Physicians Assistants.  If any of you have any input regarding when you meet with doctors, or PA's, or things you like/dislike about initial meetings with care takers- your input is really valuable to me. I really like peoples personal stories, it gives me perspectives I cannot realize on my own. :)

Gottschall, Jonathan. The Storytelling Animal: How Stories Make Us Human. [New York]: Mariner, 2013. Print.

3 comments:

  1. I really like how you made your argument "Hitler changed the world with his fiction" not like how Gottschall made his sound like "because Hitler saw a play and read a lot of Wagner's work, he changed the world" because that makes a big difference in my mind. I agree with your statement, not Gottschall's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting to now see the power of fiction on peoples' behavior; as prior to this class it never crossed my mind. If what some say about Heath Ledger and effect his role as "the Joker" had on him is true, then he is another example (perhaps somewhat extreme) of the effects fiction can have on the mind (may he rest in peace). To what extent are those with the gift to construct the fiction world held responsible for the effect they have on others?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great analysis. It's interesting to see that first Hitler was influenced to some degree by fiction, then he influenced many more to feel similar to him with his propaganda.
    Jared, That is another great example. I don't know if the story about Heath Ledger is true, but I also heard that Jack Nicholson felt changed by the same role in an earlier version of Batman.

    ReplyDelete